Saturday, December 8, 2007

we don't need speed to dance all night

My feet hurt so bad. And I'm surprised I'm not sore, but I'm sure it's coming. Last night was amazing!

Cindy and her roommates had a party last night. I was looking forward to slipping away from all my schoolwork and having a little fun. I got there around 9:30...there were still people trickling in so the party hadn't really picked up yet. But pretty soon one of the hosts turned up the music and that was my cue! There were only a few people dancing for a while but we were having fun. While I was dancing I met a guy named Will. I was surprised to see him dancing. He looks like if Beowulf dressed like a black guy. He is a 2nd year PhD student studying Philosophy, and not surprisingly he reminds me of Dr. Reddick (in personality, not so much in looks thankfully.) But he was a good dancer and I ended up dancing with or near him most of the night. I met lots of really cool people actually.

A little later that night the hosts did a Yankee swap gift exchange. All the guests were supposed to bring scandalous gifts, and the most scandalous would win a door prize. I bought candy handcuffs, thinking that was scandalous but not too over the top. So people started opening presents and the vast majority of them were not scandalous. I started to feel bad until someone opened a vibrator. When it was my turn, I got a bottle of pinot grigio. Naturally I was excited about the wine, but it also had a really cool bottle. It was pretty much the first time I had ever gotten a present I would want in a gift exchange. My gift was one of the last ones opened. Someone made the comment that the girl who got it was really innocent but she would probably open a naughty gift. So we got toward the end and I told Marie that I was excited about my gift. No sooner had I said that did someone steal it away from me. I was crushed! None of the other gifts appealed to me, so I opened the last present under the tree. It was an Ugly Doll. I can't believe they even make such a product, but it certainly lives up to its name. But Marie had gotten snowflake lights and she didn't want them, so she offered to trade me. Well snowflake lights aren't as good as wine but I guess it turned out okay.

So after that I just danced the rest of the night. And it was a LOOOOONG night. Will and I sat down to rest at about 3:20 am, and we chatted a little about communication and education (pretty much the only two things I can talk about semi-intelligently.) Then we got up and danced some more. Just before 4am Will said he was leaving. He was walking back to BC so I asked him to walk me back to my house. It was a short walk from Cindy's, and we chatted a little. When we got to my house he gave me a hug and wished me luck on my papers and such. I probably should have made more of the goodbye, because he is really quite cute, and I would like to get to know him better. So we will see what happens with that.

I have no earthly idea why I am awake right now. But since it is the last week of the semester, I have a lot to accomplish....wait, who am I kidding? I'm going out to Big City with First Parish tonight for Theology on Tap, and I probably won't write Ana's exam until Monday night. Such is the life of a grad student!

No comments: