As of Wednesday night, I am one quarter of the way through grad school! And in even better news, I'm still mostly sane! (Or, at least as sane as I was when I got here.) These last four months have been truly amazing. Who would have thought this Virginia girl who went to college 5 minutes away could have packed up all her little duds and moved 600 miles? Since I moved I have grown, improved, and learned so much...
I was so worried about starting grad school, especially after taking a year off. I was frightened that it would be so much more difficult than undergrad. But I found out that it really isn't so different. I'm not sure if there is more reading than undergrad or if it just feels that way since I actually read for classes now...well mostly. My classes were so much more interesting because I'm studying something I care deeply about. Well, except for research. That class was a waste of my time. But in my other two classes, I was eager to learn and really enjoyed class. And I feel that I actually learned a lot, which I can't say for quite a few of my undergrad classes.
I have completely transformed spiritually. I knew I wanted to try out going to church because I was feeling a little spiritually empty, but I don't think I really expected much from it. Everyone at First Parish was so open and welcoming though, and I love it there. I've thrown myself into activities there and made a lot of friends. I really love the ministers, especially Rev. Jim. I'm also starting a Young Adult group, and our first event, Theology on Tap, was amazing.
I have made so many friends. I'm surprised at how quickly I've developed really solid relationships with a lot of them. They are so much fun to hang out with and I'm hardly ever at a loss for something to do. It's kind of funny to think back to when I first moved and didn't know anyone. I was so worried I wouldn't have any friends. I don't know why...I'm such a social butterfly. I'm also glad things have turned out okay with my roommates. I'm not really friends with them, but we get along at least.
Boston has turned out to be the perfect place for me. There is so much going on and lots of new places to discover. I love my neighborhood because it's quiet yet lively, and within walking distance of campus and Brighton Center. I really needed a change from the slow, backward, conservative South. Sure, I miss some things about home--the food, knowing where everything is, Chanello's and Plaza. But I don't miss how horrible Bad Newz is. The only thing I would change about Boston would be the weather. I have realized that snow is only fun when it happens infrequently and causes school to close. I'm curious to see how I handle the rest of the winter. I guess I'll be alright.
Friday, December 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment