Here's a two-parter. Enjoy!
Snow
Saturday night it snowed. Well, at home we would call it a blizzard. Sunday morning, it was still snowing and starting to sleet. But First Parish was going to be open, so I was still going to church. I realized at that point that I must be insane. So I left pretty early since I wasn't sure what I would encounter outside. When I opened my door, I no longer had steps, but a ramp of snow. After gingerly making my way down to the sidewalk, I managed to get up my street with no problem. Then I got to Comm Ave. With the piles of snow left over from the storm a few days before, most of the snow I stepped in went above my boots. Some of it went to my knees. This was not good. I managed to get across the street, and hoped that the BC bus was still running. I didn't see one, so I started walking down the street, so at least I'd be down the street if I did have to walk to Reservoir. I saw 2 guys waiting in front of Archstone, so I waited there under the awning. They ended up just digging out their Jeep and driving away, but I continued to wait since I had seen 3 buses go by on the other side. Finally, one came, and luckily I didn't have to wait too long for a train at Reservoir. I made it to Brookline Hills and started a rather interesting trek to church. It wasn't a bad walk until I crossed Boylston into the neighborhood. I tried walking up the sidewalk, but it was impossible, so I just walked in the street. Somehow, I made it to church. And a good number of people actually made it.
I was really excited to see the Christmas pageant. It was quite nice, and ended up being totally worth braving the snow. One of the littlest kids (he couldn't have been older than 18 months) was playing a lamb. At first he ran off the stage and back to his mother. His mother guided him back to the front, and at that point he started walking around the stage. Then he picked up one of the wise men's gifts and threw it at the baby Jesus (luckily not a real baby). Everyone was cracking up, which seemed totally inappropriate for a Christmas pageant. But that kid was the star of hospitality, with everyone wanting to know who he belonged to.
Making it home after church was similarly challenging. Again, I waited forever for a BC bus. At least I got another chance to laugh, this time at an 86 bus that somehow got stuck in a snowbank. There was a nicely plowed path through the busway, but apparently that bus driver wanted a little more adventure. He kept getting out and putting sand on his tires, then trying again. It was pretty much a losing battle. Another 86 came and after a while that driver tried to help him. At that point I think they tried moving some of the snow, which seemed like the only logical solution. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the denouement of that saga, as a bus came and I made my way home.
Through all this snowiness, I've started to think about going home. I'm going home tonight, and I'm so excited to get away from the snow for a while. But even though I don't particularly like all this snow, I can't let it cow me into giving up what I have here. I do so love everything else. So the next few months are going to be really tough. I guess that builds character?
Loveliness
Monday night I went out with Tom to celebrate the end of the semester. Tom is one of my favorite people that I've met. He's really a lovely individual...smart, funny, fun, and incredibly beautiful. So we went to a club called Machine. He seemed determined that I find a girl to hook up with. I think the day before I led him to think I'm a lesbian, so I had to explain to my sexuality to him. Normally that causes a lot of frustration on my part, but thankfully he understood what I was talking about. In any case, I had no intention of meeting anyone that night. I just wanted to have fun. We sat at the bar and had a few drinks, then got up to walk around the club and look at guys. Then there was a drag show. It was kind of short and not nearly as fun as the ones I had seen before. Luckily, after that the DJ played really good music so I got to dance. This is the point where the evening began to go south. Tom kept buying me drinks, and I think I had 3 cosmos. I was having fun dancing and doing my signature scandalous moves, much to Tom's surprise. Then I fell over and I remember some random guy helping me up. After that, the next thing I remember is Tom picking up some undergrads in Cleveland Circle. I'm pretty much terrified to find out what happened in the intermediary. I also managed to fall over walking into my house, which wasn't entirely due to my intoxication...I mean it was icy. I had a fight with my key, but eventually I made it into my house. I couldn't go to sleep so I was just wandering around my house until I sobered up a bit. At some point in this wandering I managed to lose some of the contents of my stomach in the kitchen sink. Lovely. It wasn't very pretty considering I had pad thai and gimbab for dinner. Finally I went to sleep, and the next morning I woke up with a fun little stomach ache.
I'm really upset with myself for how I behaved. I love to drink and have fun, but I usually have a little more class and self-control. I have never been that drunk before, and I shouldn't have let it get to that point. I generally try to avoid embarrassing myself in public and in front of my friends. Then again, it could have been much worse. Besides, I'm sure pretty soon I will do something else stupid (probably while sober) and forget this even happened.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment