School is seriously kicking my ass. I have soooo much reading every week. My Student Affairs Admin class has the most reading, closely followed by Higher Ed in American Society. Plus I also have a 4-6 page case study every week for Student Affairs, but that hasn't been quite as taxing as I thought originally. It's kind of daunting if I don't keep up, and I haven't been doing too well in that respect. Last week I was really starting to worry if I'll be able to handle it all. I think I was just frustrated, but I'm trying to find a good system.
The rest of my life however is amazing. I was really needing to get out of the house and enjoy myself, and luckily Thursday night there was a grad night out. I had class that night and I was going to rush home to get ready and head over there. Research was particularly rough that night. I was hoping he would let us out early but he kept talking. And talking. And talking even more. You could tell on people's faces that they were so over that class. And I'm sure he lectured past 6:50. As soon as he was done I bolted for the door. I had to wait forever for the shuttle (as usual), but finally I made it home, got ready, and headed out. Then, of course, I had to wait forever for the shuttle to head over to Reservoir. But finally I made it over there and got on the train to Newton Center. As I was getting off the train I ran into a girl in Higher Ed and a friend of hers, which was good because I had no idea where the bar was. We ended up walking the wrong way, then asking someone where it was. It was really weird because you have to walk down this little alley to get to the door. Inside I saw Ashley and Paula, then walked around a little and saw Brent, Mongkol, and Christina. I talked to them for a second before getting some food and sitting with Ashley and Paula. But then I went to the bar, which is what I really wanted. I got a long island and went over and sat next to Brent. He made some comment about my drink choice being unique, which I thought was random. But that's just Brent I guess. Most of the night was just us hanging out, me drinking a lot, and people playing grad student bingo. People were walking around trying to find people who fit certain characteristics listed on the sheet. A few of them applied to me, like being a first year grad student and a master's student. But at some point in the night we decided I had a 'special talent' for dancing, so I delighted in informing people of that all night. Sadly, I didn't get too much of a chance to display that talent. No one was really dancing, but I danced by myself a little bit. It was a good night though because I got a chance to destress a little bit which was great.
I got home that night expecting to stumble in (because I'd had quite a bit to drink) and see my roommates studying. I knew they were going out with other econ people that night, but I was very surprised that they weren't home when I got there. I decided to stay up until they got home. Finally Meghan came home. She informed me that she had made out with a guy in her program. I was shocked but definitely amused. That made me feel like I need to let my wild side out some more because I've been pretty tame lately.
Friday I ventured over to Watertown to pick up a few things at Target. Not too eventful until I was getting my watch battery replaced and another girl behind the jewelry counter asked me if I was in ASA (I happened to be wearing letters.) I said yes and she told me that she was from the Alaska chapter. I told her she should get involved with the alumnae chapter, which she didn't know existed. It's always so fun to randomly run into sisters!
The best part of the last week though had to be Sunday when I went to church. I sat next to Nick and Steve, who are the sweetest guys, and they have been so warm and welcoming to me. When they did candles of joy and concern, I went up to light 2 candles. One was for Cathy, my junior year roommate. Her dad has been really sick, and the doctors only recently figured out what was wrong with him. They put him on a high dose of medicine but they have to reduce the dose, and her dad has been getting sick again. I was so sad to hear that because her dad is such a sweet old man. I lit the other candle for Yvonne and Matt because Matt was being deployed to Iraq for the second time. (But then I talked to Yvonne today and found out he actually isn't going out and might not for a year or so, which is amazing.) A couple people came up to me afterward and expressed their sympathy which was very comforting. The sermon was called How We Are Universalists, and Rev. Jim, who I love, was speaking about love and acceptance and started talking about his brother. His brother was gay and died of AIDS back in the early 80s. Rev. Jim almost started crying, and in that moment I felt like I connected with him on a very deep level. It was an amazing feeling. After the service I talked to Nick, Steve, and Ann for a little while. They were talking about being gay back in the olden days. I told them how I always thought it was interesting to hear stories like that because I went to high school with so many gay people.
After coffee hour there was an orientation for newcomers to the church. We went around the room and talked about the faith traditions we grew up with and how we came to Unitarian Universalism. I talked about growing up in a Baptist family, then ended up entertaining the group with how I became aware of Unitarians through the Simpsons. It was really cool to meet 2 other people from Virginia in the meeting, as well as someone who works at BC. So now I have some more connections at church. I feel so much more strongly about this faith then I ever thought I would, and everyone has been so welcoming. It's also nice to have a couple hours each week to put schoolwork aside and become centered. I'm definitely ready to join.
I can't believe I've been in Boston almost 2 months. My life here has come together so nicely and I'm so much happier than I ever was in Virginia. So I figure whatever craziness grad school has to throw at me, I'm ready. Bring it, grad school!
Monday, October 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm still trying to figure out what, if anything, UUs actually believe.
And by the way, I resent your implicit slur against Southerners, speaking as though we are all closed-minded and unintelligent. Just because you don't agree with someone else's way of life doesn't warrant such a description.
1. it sounds like you have found an amazing church :)
2. i'm so glad you are loving life at BC
3. i hope, for his own sake, that this josh kid is kidding
Post a Comment