Wednesday, September 5, 2007

...of the rest of your life

I had my first grad school class today! My class was at 4:30, so I spent most of the day primping so I could look hot for my first day. I must say I looked gorgeous, but then I usually do.

I headed over to the grad student lounge in Campion because I heard there would be food all day, but I got there really late, so there wasn't much left. There were a lot of people there, mostly from the counseling program. I sat and talked with them for a while, then walked around campus for a bit. I was hungry, so I went to Hillside to grab lunch, then headed back toward Gasson. I wanted to make sure I had enough time to find my class and maybe meet some people before class got started. Gasson is a very confusing building though. I had the hardest time finding the classroom, only to discover that the door to the room was in the stairwell. I made a quick call to Caitlin to see how her first day teaching went, but she didn't answer. I was a little nervous to go into the class since I didn't see anyone I recognized. But I went in and sat down. More people started trickling in, and I saw a few people I knew. Then I started to get really nervous because I noticed people pulling out the course syllabus and reading it. I had no idea where they had gotten it from. A few minutes later class started and the professor asked if we had received her email with the syllabus. I definitely did not get that email. Luckily she had copies. The first class was just her going over the syllabus and talking about the class and the Higher Ed program a little bit. We were only there about an hour before she let us go. So, first grad school class: very little to report.

After class a few of the girls and I headed back to the grad student lounge since we had a program orientation at 7 and there was a lot of time to kill. We mostly talked about our class and other classes until finally it was time and we headed down the hall. We got there just as the pizza was arriving. We sat and ate while people were coming in. The orientation was okay...it was a lot of information I already kind of knew. It was nice to see some of the professors, but really great to finally see the people in my program. I didn't really meet anyone new though. I was excited to finally see Brent, one of the guys I met over the summer. I also met a woman who did her undergrad at VCU, and she was really excited to meet another Virginian and she hugged me, which was a little weird. She was sweet, but she made a comment that I don't have a southern accent. I hate when people say that!! After that, Ashley and I left so we could take the shuttle together. It was the first shuttle experience for both of us, and I was a little nervous. It was kind of crowded and I couldn't see anything outside. Also, apparently you just have to kind of get up when it's your stop. Halfway through the ride I figured out where we were, but then I didn't really know how to signal to the driver that I wanted the next stop. Luckily there were other people getting off there.

After I got home I called Caitlin to find out about her day, and then told her about mine. I miss her a lot, but we are already planning a vacation to Provincetown next summer. Hopefully I will see her sooner though. Other than that, I'm doing really well here. Not a bit homesick!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i LOVE it when people tell me i don't sound southern!!! it's my goal in speaking :)