Sunday, August 26, 2007

there's no other way to find it

After quite a few days of pretty chilly weather, the past couple days here have been hot. As in, Dirty South hot. Saturday's high temperature was somewhere around 95. I had been complaining about the chill, but since I don't have air conditioning, I did what any reasonable person would do and went to the beach. Actually I was hoping for at least one beach day before the summer ended. So on Saturday afternoon I packed up a blanket and towel and headed to Revere Beach. Getting there, I had the same problem as last weekend because it seems they will be working on the Blue line for some time. But it wasn't so bad. Lots of other people decided to take advantage of the weather that day, but there were still plenty of decent spots on the sand. The sand was burning hot, just like I like it, and I stuck my feet in the water for a few minutes before finding a place to lay out. I brought along a book and attempted to read while sunning myself but positioning the book so I wouldn't have weird tan lines proved to be too complicated, so I abandoned the book. This led to a little boredom, so I turned over onto my stomach and continued reading. I'm pretty sure my back got a bit of color, and my legs did somewhat, but my shoulders and chest are still pretty pale. But I was still bored, so I packed up my stuff and went to play in the water for a few minutes. Then I headed to the same ice cream shop I went to last week, enjoyed some cake batter ice cream with sprinkles, and headed home.

Earlier today I decided that I needed to get myself back on track spiritually and go to church. When I visited Boston in June I checked out a Unitarian Universalist church in Brookline, but before I committed to a church I wanted to see a few more. So I decided to go to Cambridge today. Getting there was easy enough. I was a little early but luckily I was right in Harvard Square and, surprise surprise, found a Starbucks. I almost didn't want to go in because someone was begging for spare change right out front, but my desire for an Orange Passion iced tea won out. So I just ignored the person on the way in and out, then went on to church. At first it was okay--a woman came up and introduced herself, then offered me something to eat since they were having a breakfast. The selection was pretty limited but I helped myself, then started talking to some guy. Later he introduced me to two other people. We chatted but the conversations lapsed a couple times. I couldn't think of many questions to ask about the church, and they offered up very little information. After I finished breakfast people started heading into the service. I tried to walk in with one of the people I had been talking to but he went off somewhere else so I just walked in by myself. I ended up sitting by myself, which made me feel kind of awkward, but I noticed that most of the people were pretty spread out. At one point they had visitors stand up to be greeted, then we had to greet our neighbors. There was only one person close enough to me to talk to. She shook my hand but refused to let go and invited me to come back when their regular services began (and when the majority of the membership would actually be there.) Finally she released her grip and I could sit down again. Then they took collection. Ordinarily I would happily give money, but I didn't have any $1 bills, and I felt strange about giving change. And since I was by myself, the usher was looking straight at me when I shook my head that I had nothing to give. She gestured that it was okay, but I know she was probably thinking bad thoughts about me. I felt guilty in any case, so I guess I have to make it up later. The sermon was excellent though, and very timely. It was about stress and how you shouldn't really worry but just focus on the important things in life. Definitely going to be useful in the coming weeks and months....as long as I can remember it. But other than that I just didn't get a good vibe from the church. After the service there were refreshments, and I was chatting with someone very briefly, but the conversation fizzled out almost as soon as it began, so I just decided to slip out.

After I left I attempted to recall my brief exploration of Harvard Square in June so I could figure out where I was supposed to catch my bus. I walked the wrong way, of course, and as I was heading in the right direction, I saw the bus I needed pass. And this time I know it really was the bus I needed. Fortunately that bus runs every half hour on Sundays. Also, the lovely bums who occupy Harvard Square (of which there are several) provided some amusement. One in particular gave me a little chuckle when I saw his sign, which read "Spare change for housing and weed...the necessities of life." Well, at least he was honest. And if I was the change-giving type, I probably would have rewarded that honesty. So anyway I just walked around a little more then popped into Staples to buy some pens, which turned into spending $25 on things I wanted but probably will not use with any regularity. Then I headed back to the bus stop where I waited a few minutes until my bus came and I headed home.

In other news, I'm still kind of bored and friendless. And my room is still a wreck. I really plan on getting it together before classes start but I can't make any promises. My living room now has a futon, the DVD player is hooked up, and the TV is on the TV stand now. All we need now is some side chairs and a coffee table, and to position everything properly. The dining room is empty except for some large boxes that will have to wait until trash day to be discarded. The kitchen has everything we need so far, so I can cook and bake to my heart's content (which isn't very much.)

The roommate situation is working out well. We get along and we seem to be cooperating very well where the household is concerned. We opened a joint bank account to pay rent and household expenses from. For the most part they have been at math camp and studying a lot. At this point we are probably all on our best behavior, and soon each of our peccadillos will come out. I'm looking forward to that actually, just to see who I'm really living with. The only complaint I have so far is with Devlin's boyfriend. He is a very nice, friendly guy, just a little messy. Nothing major, and it seems everything was picked up before he left, but there had been cups and plates left in the living room and on the kitchen counters. But really it wasn't a big deal...not like I want to ban him from our apartment or anything.

This week the grad school prep kicks into high gear. We have orientation on Thursday, and the rest of the week will be spent ensuring that things are in place before classes start. I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about getting back into school mode, but there is a reason why I'm here. I mean other than meeting hot law students.

No comments: