Last week, I finally heard from BU. I have a job! I fully expected that I would get the job, but I guess they wanted to keep me in suspense for a bit, which is totally fine. So after a little confusion and my supervisor being in London for a week, I started on Wednesday. It was chill...I just hung out with Rachel, the student coordinator for BU Central. She told me tons of crazy stories. This job will definitely not be boring! Thursday and Friday I sat in the office and observed some more and learned a little more about paperwork. It was good to chat with the activities assistants. They are really cool kids and I'm going to like working with them.
Thursday night I worked my first event, a Valentine's Day a cappella concert. Now, I have never particularly cared for a cappella. The group that opened up was a girls' a cappella group. They were okay...I mean they had good voices for the most part. All the times they tried to coordinate their movements were off though, which was weird. But after that, the Dear Abbeys performed. And they are amazing. They had a really full sound which made them aurally interesting. They could have dressed a little nicer though... I was particularly excited when Hunter sang. Hunter is an AA, and I already was enamored with him because he's from Texas and has that perfect Texas drawl. So the fact that he can sing just makes him even better. And yes, I totally realize he is a student and therefore off-limits. I guess being in Boston makes me appreciate Southern boys even more...not that there are boys like that in Hampton Roads anyway.
Last night was a trivia night. Before I left, Jeff told me that the event would probably be a disaster because there was no advertising for it. I shrugged it off, but he was right. No one showed up. Like, no one. Rachel and her friend and I just ended up hanging out and I read the questions to them. So there was still trivia, just not in the way it was originally envisioned. But it was fun to hang out with Rachel and get to know her better.
Last night was also my roommates' wine and cheese party. Wine and cheese party sounds like a classy type of party that classy people throw. I was thankfully not very involved in planning this party. But as the details materialized I found out that this was to be anything but classy. Of course, it was my roommates. They were buying a case of wine (because of all the alcoholics in their program) and setting up the beer pong table. They also complained about the price of cheese, and when I suggested to Meghan that she could buy the cubed cheese in the bag, she thought it was a good idea. The guest list also ballooned from their typical few select individuals (to keep things as quiet as possible) to over 20. I was not concerned, as I'm sure most of our neighbors could care less if we have a loud party.
I ended up leaving BU Central around 10:45 because I wanted to get home to catch the tail end of the party. I assumed it would be the tail end because Meghan and Devlin aren't the hardest partying individuals. Well, I was wrong. I walked into my house and saw only 2 people I knew. I had to cut through Meghan's room because the dining room was packed. I went in my room for a second to regroup, then I reappeared to immerse myself in the party. I only knew about half the people there, which was weird. Pretty early in the party I got accosted by a strange fellow and was forced to eat a piece of cheese. (I later learned the strange fellow is called Murat, and he's not strange, he's crazy.) By then, I needed a drink in the worst way, so I went into the kitchen to grab the bottle of wine that I already had and proceeded to drink straight from the bottle. After I started on my wine I pretty much mingled the rest of the night. I had to regulate on some girls because they were smoking in my back stairway, not on the balcony. Then the crazy fellow Murat asked me if I knew where to buy weed. At some point in the evening I found myself dancing in the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room with some guy and some girl whose names I'm pretty sure I did not know at the time (mostly because I'm a little fuzzy on them now.) Toward the end of the party I had 2 glasses of red wine, and I detest red wine. I was so drunk though I couldn't really tell the difference. The party ended when people just suddenly cleared out at once. I think a lot of people were going to someone else's house to keep the night going.
This morning I woke up with the worst stomachache, as usual when I drink with an empty stomach. I tried eating Korean food since that worked pretty well one time. It worked for a while but I still feel like shit. I also slept most of the day, which at least kept my mind off it somewhat. I'm starting to think that grad school is hazardous to my health...or maybe it's just the company I keep!
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment